Considered to be one of the most important example of existing fortified monastery in the Iberian Peninsula. Nowadays is a charm hotel, belonging to Pousadas de Portugal.
Built in 1356 by D. Álvaro Gonçalves Pereira, first Prior of Crato and father of Nuno Alvares Pereira, the Holy Constable. According to some historians was D.Nuno’ s birth place.
In 1232 King Sancho II gave the town of Crato to the Hospitaller Order. It was in 1340 that the headquarters of the Hospitaller Order was changed from Leca do Bailio or Belver to Crato. Immediately D. Álvaro Gonçalves Pereira decided to found a chapel in the town.
As soon as the Order began to grow the Monastery was build and became the Order’ motherhouse in Portugal, founded in 1356.
In the 16th century the Hospitaller Order came to be called the Order of Malta, a name that still preserves.
Is located in Flor da Rosa , Crato municipality, Portalegre District.