Castle of Elvas

By the time of the Christian Reconquest at the Iberian Peninsula, was  initially taken by Christian forces under the command of Geraldo Sem Pavor /Fearless Geraldo  when he conquest  Juromenha.

 

Retaken by the Moors , returned to Portuguese hands in 1220 only to fall again into the possession of the Moors. Between  1226-29  finally fell into Portuguese hands, under the reign of Sancho II (1223-1248), which granted it a Charter (May 1229) and also began the  reconstruction/strengthening of its defenses.

Comments are closed.

Free eCards, Free ePoscards