In a dominant position on top of a hill north of the São Mamede mountains, is of strategic importance due to its proximity to the border. Due to the splendor of the surrounding countryside, the village is known locally as the Sintra of Alentejo.
At the time of the Christian Reconquest of the Iberian peninsula, some evidence point to a supposed conquest by King Afonso Henriques (1112-1185) in 1148, as well as the granting of a charter in 1180. It is known with more certainty, that the town was in the domain of the Kingdom of Portugal in 1232 with municipal organization in 1276.
Along the 13th Century the medieval fortifications were made and unmade for the manor interests always fought with the interests of the crown and also with the population that would rather have the distant king as their lord of the manor. Finally rises the castle on the initiative of King Dinis, it was concluded during the reign of his son, Afonso IV in 1327. This is how Vide became Castelo de Vide.
The visible basic materials employed in all fortifications are stone (granite and quartzite), brick, lime plaster and clay.
Castle of Castelo de Vide is located in the parish of Santa Maria da Devesa, town of Castelo de Vide and Portalegre District.